This week, the League of Extraordinary Bloggers is writing about celebrity sightings, and since I live on the east coast and don’t really go to conventions, the only celebrities I get to see are stuffy old white guys in suits — senators and congressmen — yawn. So, I thought I’d take on this topic from a different angle.
I always get excited whenever a celebrity makes a cameo in a movie, especially when the movie was made before that actor even was a celebrity. Band of Brothers is a great example of this. The cast is filled with actors who would eventually move on to bigger and better than things. The HBO miniseries has both Professor X (James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender), Captain America’s Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) shows up, and Jimmy Fallon even makes an appearance.
In 2001, the same year that brought us Band of Brothers, Ridley Scott’s masterpiece, Black Hawk Down, was released. That movie is overflowing with familiar faces. Scroll down the full cast list on IMDB and you’ll see what I mean…
- Obi Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor)
- The Incredible Hulk (Eric Bana)
- Legolas (Orlando Bloom)
- Bane (Tom Hardy)
- Lucious Malfoy (Jason Isaacs)
- Shredder (William Fichtner)
- Reed Richards (Ioan Gruffudd)
- Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau)
- Ari Gold from Entourage (Jeremy Piven)
- Aaron Pierce from 24 (Glenn Morshower)
- Tig from Sons of Anarchy (Kim Coates)
- Colt from Justified (Ron Eldard)
- And yes, that is Modern Family’s Phil Dunphy (Ty Burrell) as an army medic.
If you haven’t seen Band of Brothers or Black Hawk Down in a while, I would definitely recommend a re-watch, just to spot the celebrities that cut their teeth in those productions.
What are some of your favorite movies with great ensemble casts and cameos?